What is self confidence?
Self confidence is the belief and trust in one’s abilities, qualities and judgements. It is a feeling of self-assurance that arises from a person’s belief in their own capabilities, experience and skills.
Self confidence is essential in achieving success and happiness in life because it allows us to face challenges, take risks and pursue our goals with enthusiasm and courage. A person who is self confident is comfortable with themselves and with their decisions. They can handle criticism and setbacks with resilience and use the former to as a learning opportunity.
Self confidence is not arrogance or narcissism – both of which involve an excessive sense of self-importance and disregard for others.
How do we increase our self confidence?
Self confidence is not something that we are born with, but rather, it is something that we develop and nurture over time. Some ways we can boost our self confidence include:
- Identify and acknowledge your strengths: Recognizing your abilities and positive traits can help you appreciate your unique qualities and build a healthier sense of self-worth.
- Set achievable goals: Setting realistic goals and Hworking towards them can help you build confidence in your ability to succeed and accomplish what you set out to do.
- Face your fears and step out of your comfort zone: Trying new things, taking risks and facing your fears can help you develop resilience and build confidence in your ability to overcome challenges (check out the post about Ice-baths, it’s a great way to boost your confidence https://ethicalliving.eu/ice-baths-cold-showers-is-it-worth-the-hype/ ).
- Practice self-care: Taking care of yourself physically, emotionally and mentally can help you feel better about yourself.
Who should you surround yourself with?
While it is true that we can develop self-confidence on our own, having the support of others can make a significant difference in our journey. There are several kinds of people who can help boost our self confidence.
- Those who believe in us and our abilities, such as mentors, coaching or supportive friends & family.
- Those who challenge us to step outside of our comfort zone and try new things such as colleagues or class mates.
- Those who provide constructive feedback, helping us to grow and improve, such as supervisors or trusted advisors.
These individuals can serve as valuable sources of encouragement, motivation and guidance. They can help us to overcome self doubt and learn from our setbacks.
Self confidence can empower us to pursue our dreams and overcome obstacles. Remember, self confidence is a journey, not a destination and it requires consistent effort and practice to achieve, maintain and grow.